Supporting undergraduate student success and degree completion, Student Success Initiative (SSUI) partners with the University’s schools and colleges to provide the opportunity to get back on track academically. Participants can earn 6-9 credits toward graduation at a discounted rate during summer.
Students must have at least one of the following criteria for the discounted SSUI rate:
- Below 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Below 2.0 semester GPA
- On academic warning or probation
- Previously academically suspended
- Off-track for graduation or failure to make sufficient progress toward degree
Please note: Due to space limitations, all students who meet the criteria may not be accepted.
- SSUI eligibility confirmation from school/college
- Course approval from school/college
- Enrollment in 6-9 credits during summer sessions
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
- Participants must complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the applying year.
- Additional funding through the SSUI Grant is available (one time only). Eligibility is based on demonstrated need from the financial aid applications on file.
The Student Success Initiative financial aid award includes Federal Direct Student Loans. Loan amounts are based on grade level at the end of the term. If you would like to decline your loan, complete the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Cancellation Form.
Once your financial aid has been processed, you will receive an e-mail (i.e. @syr.edu) informing you to view your financial aid on My Slice under “My Financial Aid.” Summer bills are sent in early May.
SSUI is for 6-9 credits, any credits outside of that range will be charged at the regular summer tuition rate.
|Student Status||Enrolled Credits||Cost|
|SSUI Bundle Rate||6-9 Credits||$7,187|
|Summer Main Campus Tuition||Over 9 Credits||$1,523 per credit hour|
Additional details available on MySlice Financial Aid and by connecting with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs team for summer cost of attendance. Please note, the following was last updated Spring 2023 and may be subject to change per each program year.
Application is currently closed.
Participating represents a commitment to identifying and improving strategies for academic success. It also further connects students to a campus community network who share in and support their commitment. Students must apply and be accepted into this program.
Please note, late applications will not be accepted except under extenuating circumstances.
- Application Opens: April 1
- Application Deadline: May 1
- Financial Aid Award Notices Distributed: By TBA
- Review the eligibility criteria above to see if you qualify.
- Connect with your school/college academic advisor or SSUI representative:
- Verify you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Obtain approval for courses.
- Enroll in 6-9 credits of approved courses.
- Complete SSUI application online.
- All Financial Aid questions should be directed to Email Contact Form or 315.443.1513:
- Credit amount
- Living on/off-campus OR living with family
SSUI applies to 6-9 credits only. Please reference the term limits for summer listed below.
Undergraduates may register for a maximum of 7 credits in a six-week session (with Maymester and Six Week First Session considered as one session for this purpose), and a maximum of 14 credits in any summer. Students may petition their home school/college to register for additional credits in a session or for summer.
- Maymester: Monday, May 13 - Friday, May 24
- one course maximum
- Six Week First Session: Monday, May 20 - Friday, June 28
- two courses maximum (includes Maymester)
- Six Week Second Session: Monday, July 8 - Friday, August 16
- two courses maximum
- Twelve Week Session: Monday, May 13 - Friday, August 16
- four courses maximum
Finding classes to take this summer has never been easier. Just search for your desired summer term courses in MySlice.
Frequently Asked Questions
SSUI adds a registration hold after you are enrolled in your approved courses and you have confirmed your participation in the program. The hold ensures you remain in your approved courses/credits, since any changes could affect your financial aid or ability to participate in SSUI.
If you need to remove your hold, email email@example.com.
Your hold will automatically be removed after summer sessions are over and will not affect fall registration.
Yes, but please pay attention to the session credit limits.
- Maymester (considered part of first six week session)
- you may take a maximum of one Maymester course
- Six Week First Session
- you may take two courses maximum (includes Maymester)
- Six Week Second Session
- you may take two courses maximum
- Twelve Week Session
- you may take four courses maximum
Will I be guaranteed a place in the Student Success Initiative (SSUI) courses I want to take this summer?
Although the probability is high that you will be able to register for your first-choice courses, enrollment does not guarantee this will happen. SSUI cannot control the enrollment of any course. Furthermore, there are some courses that may be your first-choice but they might not be the most appropriate in an intensive six-week format. It is best to make your selections after discussion with your school or college representative.
It is recommended to register early if you wish to hold a place within a course. You can always drop the course before classes begin, should you be advised not to take the course or you change your mind.
How many credits may I take? Are there any specific requirements for course selection if I receive financial aid?
Because the summer session is condensed to a six-week period, it is more intensive than an academic year semester. We recommend that you consider a course load of six to eight credits (two courses).
To be considered for any financial aid you must register for at least six credits. You may not remove an incomplete as part of those six credits and receive financial aid. Your final registration should reflect discussions between you and your home school or college academic advisor.
No, you will register through MySlice. We encourage you to register early for your courses; however, SSUI students must apply for admission and be accepted for participation in SSUI before they will receive the reduced fee and any financial aid. Because SSUI has a significantly reduced fee, your course selection must be confirmed by the SSUI team to guarantee the reduced fee.
Please note, any course change, addition, drop or withdrawal must be processed through SSUI. Failure to do so may result in incorrect Bursar charges, incomplete course drop/withdrawal or removal from the program.
Prior to the drop deadline, notify SSUI as soon as possible by emailing Student Success Initiative, if you no longer wish to take courses and the team will remove the hold for you to drop your course(s).
Please note, students are responsible for dropping all courses prior to drop deadlines. For specific course drop deadlines, check your class schedule (MySlice -> My Class Schedule Tile), and click on the small calendar icon.